Zuku is our consumer facing brand that reflects a new, fresh and innovative range of products and services targeting the modern African consumer making it an exciting, relevant and affordable option for home entertainment and communication. As a brand, Zuku aims to give customers the greatest value for their money without compromising service quality.
The Programming Group is committed to working closely with local producers and directors to develop the East African Media Industry and grow the amount of high quality local content that is shown on Zuku channels. In addition they have started an initiative to represent local content at global content marketplaces as a means to further enhance revenues to local productions.
Zuku has numerous home grown channels which include Zuku Afrika, Zuku Life, Zuku Movies Max, Zuku Movies Gold, Zuku Movies Family , Zuku Movies Action & Zuku Sports.
If you are a producer/film maker out there trying to get your content and have failed, how about trying Zuku we are looking for content to serve our many channels.
- Concept originality
- Regional (Universal) appeal
- Resonance with targeted audience
- Exportability to other buyers
- Long shelf life
- High production values
- Program appeal to channel profile
- Unique buying and selling points
They have three main approaches when it comes to sourcing for content:
• Involves paying an agreed fee for an already produced and ready to air program
• It is determined by their program requirements, territory, history and demand
• Producer undertakes all costs and aims to recover the cost from distribution
• They buy limited runs for a period of time, for a specified territory
• Allows producer to redistribute the program to other buyers after the expiry of their agreement
• Intellectual copyright remains with the producer
- Producer/content owner approaches us with a copy of a ready-to-air program and proposal
- They review the submissions in line with the above requirements, and accept or decline
-If declined we inform the producer why the program has been declined through email, phone or face-to-face.
- If the program meets at least 80% of the requirements, we propose changes to be made.
- If the producer is in agreement with the proposed changes, we will then proceed to issue an offer.
- Negotiations around license fee, number of runs, territories, etc begins.
- The contract is then issued.
• We issue a brief to the industry with the objective of developing our own content.
• Alternatively, producer can sell their concept to us for consideration to develop the content
• Cost of production is fully funded by us.
• We own the Intellectual Property rights.
- We issue a brief to the industry that states the specific requirements for commissioning.
- Proposals are submitted by the producers as per the proposed deadline. Proposals submitted after the deadlines are disqualified.
- We review the submissions and shortlist proposals based on their eligibility & viability.
- Producers are then invited via email or phone to a pitching session in front of a selected panel. Rejected proposals are informed.
- Producers (s) of the selected proposal are informed and discussions begin around development of the program. Rejected proposals are also informed.
- A contract is then issued.
• Involves where a producer has a concept and is seeking partial funding for production
• Partial funding could be a 50-50 share for the production cost or could be higher/lower for parties involved.
• Producer should be willing to meet at least 50% of the proposed production costs
• Background Intellectual Property rights remain with the producer, i.e. concept, trademark, etc
• They jointly share the foreground IP rights, i.e. distribution rights, sponsorship and/or advertising costs as agreed by both parties
- Producer submits a concept and proposal to us with our terms of requirements.
- We review the proposal and in line with our requirements, we will either accept or decline.
- If declined we inform the producer why the program has been declined via email, phone or face-to-face
- If the program meets the requirements, they discuss terms of engagement, i.e. concept, budget, distribution, sponsorships, etc
- If we reach an agreement on the above terms, we draw up a contract
- Joint development process begins as per the agreed terms
"BAQE" (pronounced as Ba-Ke) is the first ever dynamic and high-octane college basketball TV magazine program produced in Africa, by Zuku!
In this first season, the program is set against the backdrop of the Kenyan University Basketball League and highlights the games, culture, players, lifestyle and action, in this wildly popular sport that we call, Basketball.
This 26-episode half hour series will premiere on Thursday May 16th at 7:30pm (EAT), exclusively on Zuku Sports Channel 301.
Stay tuned and get ready to be amazed!
1. What is Zuku Upgrade?
This is the switch that Zuku has made to a bigger capacity and advanced transponder satellite, well known as SES 5 from NSS 12. The advanced SES 5 transponder
2. Why this “switch” from NSS 12 to SES 5?
- SES 5 transponder provides us with more capacity, meaning; we have space to put up more channels for our subscribers’ enjoyment. Zuku is committed to providing wholesome family entertainment; this requires us to invest in obtaining content that provides our customers with the variety and choice that they require. This content has to sit somewhere, hence the investment in this transponder that allows us the capacity to host the additional content.
- Strategically, we have an aggressive growth plan within the wider East Africa market. We successfully launched our service in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. There has been tremendous interest and uptake of the service in these countries thus far. Our investment in SES 5 transponder gives us a wider footprint in Sub-Sahara Africa, and that means Zuku service will launch and be enjoyed in countries within the wider East Africa countries very soon, in-line with our growth ambitions.
3. What does this switch mean to me, a subscriber?
With the upgrade the customers will enjoy the following:
- Wholesome family entertainment by having an increased number of channels. We will give current and potential customers variety and choice.
- Zuku is committed and has in the past invested in the growth of the local film industry. This upgrade means that we will have the capacity to host more local programs, which truly connect with our viewers, within our bouquets.
- Our customers currently have the advantage of enjoying great signal reception, anywhere they are within the countries we operate in. This upgrade will enhance the viewers’ experience because we now will be able to broadcast some of our programs in HD (High definition). HD services demand a lot of transponder capacity and with the upgrade, we will be able to deliver that will not be an issue.
4. What equipment I receive to make this upgrade possible? Will there be any changes?
There will be NO change in our equipment. Everything remains the same Installers will simply visit your home and re-direct your satellite dish from east (current position) to west (new position)
5. How much money do I have to pay to get the Zuku Upgrade?
You will not have to pay any money to be upgraded. Simply allow our Zuku Upgrade team to come and re direct your dish
6. How can I confirm that the Installer is from Zuku?
They will have a zuku badge and will be in Zuku overall as their uniform.
7. What number should I call in case I have some queries?
You can call 0 205 205 205. We also have dealers and resellers around the country that are on hand to assist our customers where there is need.
8. Is the upgrade a process or something that will be done once?
This will be done ONCE. Once installers visit your home and re-point your satellite dish, the customer has been upgraded.
9. What channels will one be able to now receive after the upgrade?
Depending on your package, Our satellite customers will get to enjoy up to 12 new more channels which include Zuku Movies Max HD, Zuku Sports HD Zuku Action + 1 and Zuku Max + 1 and International channels such as One Music, VH1, CCTV9, CCTV4, CCTV News and DW (Deutsche Welle) News on their TV bouquets.
It is with great pleasure that we announce officially launching four new channels on our Cable and our new Satellite platform.
The New Channels we have launched are as follows;
|Zuku Swahili Movie channel is largely as the name suggests, a Swahili Movie channel put together by our programming team, the first of its kind in this region and Africa in general.|
|Shorts Movie Channel (HD) , is a Short movie channel. The channel broadcasts a selection of short films in a variety of genres in blocks of 30 and 60 minutes.|
|Setanta Action is an extreme sports / Action / Fight channel. It will also go a long way in bringing variety of sporting activities to our sports offering to satisfy the ever growing demand for more sports channels.|
|Zee Khana Kazana (loosely translated as a treasure or treasury of food). The Zee stable of channels have been the undisputed leader in the food genre for the past 17 years and launched Zee Khana Kazana in 2010 with unrivaled success.|
These channels go a long way in achieving our broader strategy to add more Movie, Sports and Cooking channels as evidenced by research, to satisfy our ever demanding subscriber viewing needs. They will all sit on the premium package.